[Dixielandjazz] Johnny Dodds (was Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 3 13:36:26 PST 2011

Bob Smith wrote [in part]:
> ........my favourite jazz musician is Johnny Dodds. The obbligato I never tire of listening to is that wonderful, superb low register playing behind Lil Armstong's vocal on the Hot Seven's "That's When I'll Come Back To You".

Dear Bob,
I wholeheartedly agree.
My dear mate and cornet/trumpet player, the late Alex Frame (1929-98) from Adelaide, South Australia formed his first band in 1951, The University Jazz Four (c/cl/p/bj), based on the Armstrong Hot Five.
At that time, in a letter, I referred to the wonderful low register clarinet behind Lil's vocal on "That's When I'll Come Back To You".
Alex floored me when he replied that he had never heard it as he never listened to vocals on jazz records!
As a youngster, Alex was the ultimate mouldy fig.
*>)
Kind regards,
Bill.