[Dixielandjazz] Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Thu Mar 3 13:03:20 PST 2011

Apart from the ones with King Oliver and Louis, Johnny Dodds's short career is littered with wonderful clarinet records, with the New Orleans Wanderers' Perdido Street Blues
(and the others by the Wanderers and the Bootblacks) amongst the best.
Often overlooked or underrated are the 1940 sides with Preston Jackson, Richard M J and the fallible Natty Dominique.
Dodds was a very sober, non-drinking family man, in contrast to the usual Roaring Twenties images of jazz players.

Steve Voce