[Dixielandjazz] Spontaneous Combustion

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 1 13:53:35 PST 2011

> From: Dixiejazzdata <dixiejazzdata at aol.com> defended a young drummer
> after
> a remark from someone that the kid kept time but lacked enthusiasm:
>

>  the kid is a kid, #1 and he is doing what he should be doing at
> that age PLAYING TIME
> he can develop into Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa later. :))

Amen DJD.

Those of us who work with kids (some as young as 6 playing with my
band) usually find that the young jazz wannabes are a bit nervous in
performance. And while they have learned how to play very well for
their ages, they have not grown into the stage persona that some older
musos exhibit to good effect. That still has to be TAUGHT in most cases.

There are numerous examples of older musicians who have still not
learned that yet. They should be judged on their stage presence, the
kids should not.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband