[Dixielandjazz] vinyl to CD and Blues Piano

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 23 14:27:29 PDT 2011

A few weeks ago I received some madvertising matter from the same company which
has helped my feet --- but I only ever bought big shoes from them

and here was a vinyl to CD deck with software at a fraction of the original
price.
I looked up the same device on amazon and the reviews insisted rather than
suggesting that the thing wouldn't be worth having even if you were paid the
full price to take it.

Unless of course you want to use, say, a Ken Colyer LP as the basis of forging
the Bolden cylinder ...  (a suitably bad cassette to CD package would finish the
thing)

I also discovered a rather longer time back, Bill Haesler might be interested,
the truth about the legendary blues singer and pianist Jesse James, who lived in
Cincinnati, and an LP by his contemporary and associate Pigmeat Jarrett, an able
but pretty well standard performer, which I was able to secure through the
agency of a friend in USA. It's still available but apparently one needs to be
in USA with a US credit/ debit card.

The oddly named Appalshop has to do not with appalling but Appalachian..

As I googled my way towards Pigmeat I found an offer of a CD dub of the music at
a seriously offensive price. Much more than was )or maybe is, if others have
checked Amazon reviews) asked for the Colyer LP to Bolden CD machinery.  I
suspect automation (I believe there is another site which will offer to keep you
up to date with the latest Bolden concert dates)

For Bill and others who might share the piano interest -- and the first LP in
the so-called Blues Revival was Speckled Red on Delmark, who was getting gigs
playing intermissions in 1950s New Orleans gigs most members of this group would
have been delighted to attend -- Pigmeat Jarrett is worth googling. After an
unpromising start the online sample segment of a Cincinnati blues DVD  turns out
to be Pigmeat, in solo Sunnyland Slim or Otis Spann mode. And then with a highly
competent accordionist (I'm sure Bill will be pleased if he doesn't know this
already!)