[Dixielandjazz] Mulgrew Miller NHOP

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 17 14:40:48 PDT 2011

I went through to Edinburgh and went with a friend to hear Mulgrew Miller and
Niels-Henning Orsted-Pedersen on the two-man Ellington centenary tour, and the
CD Marek mentions was a free gift at the door --  with an over-designerised Bang
& Olufsen booklet, they sponsored the tour and recorded the duo beforehand.

NHOP was wonderful, sitting on a stool with his bass at a 45 degree angle and
virtuoso playing and clowning.  Mulgrew was rather deadpan, I remember him
stiff-looking and apparently uncomprehending -- on a Betty Carter TV film of
no overall interest to most participants in this list including me -- when he
was doing the ten fingers on piano with Lionel Hampton doing the two fingers at
the treble end.  Quite a good demonstration of the Hampton piano -- I gather
there is a German drummer-vibist called Claus Zwanziger who does the same thing.

The highlights of the NHOP - Mulgrew M duo live performance were many,  Miller's
deadpan perfectly attuned to the NHOP clowning and cracking jokes.  The most
amazing thing was in the middle of Sophisticated Lady, when the pianist played a
straight solo rendition of LONDONDERRY AIR (aka DANNY BOY).      Deadpan, and
absolutely on the chords and on the pulse of the performance, and if he'd done
it before on the duo tour NHOP still found it hilarious.

And it was all the better for being so sensitively played. Oh, for a DVD of one
of the performances on the tour -- the CD recording is of just where they
started.

And when I received an e-mail from a friend in Denmark too few years later with
news of NHOP's sudden death from heart failure I was poleaxed. NHOP SWUNG!