[Dixielandjazz] Phil Napoleon & more

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:46:38 PDT 2011

Dear Steve,
Semantics or not, I beg to disagree.
We do not quite know what Daily played in 1930.  The review does not
prove anything.  It even claims that "Napoleon's outfit features a lot
of original players from the 1920s."  This alone casts serious doubt
on the reviewer's knowledge of jazz history and understanding of the
music itself.
As to playing "retro" - I reiterate my statement that so were
Napoleon's sidemen.  As professional musicians, sidemen in both bands
played what the leaders required.  True, Napoleon sounds his old self,
but the music does not sound all that similar to the Original Memphis
5.  It can easily be checked.
A personal note: for a long time, I believed that the Yerba Buena
people were "young West Coast amateurs" -a quote (in translation, of
course) from my letter to the person who had the first jazz radio
programme in Israel.  OK, I was still in high school, and had a lot to
learn. but the addressee, too, used that expression.  Unlike me, he
already knew English in those days, and read lots of jazz books and
jazz press.  My English was a bit limited in those days - I started at
16 from scratch.  But we both got that impression from reading about
jazz.  The "powers that be," who were not mouldy figs, tried to create
the impression that professionals played modern, while amateurs
revived old (and obsolete) music.  I strongly suspect that his
underlied the statements of both Marshall Stearns and Bruce Elder (I
don't know him,and he probably belongs to a much younger generation
than Marshall Stearns).

As to trumping - difficult to say.  I like both groups well enough to
want vol. 1.
BTW, my first exposure to Pete Daily (I had known the name before) was
in the 1980's, when a friend bought the "Jazz Band Ball " compilation
on Good Time Jazz; it presents three bands, two of veteran black
musicians and the third one - Pete Daily's.

And that was many years after I contracted the jazz microbe.

Cheers,
Marek
P.S.
I'm leaving your posting for reference.