[Dixielandjazz] Phil Napoleon & more

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 09:41:36 PDT 2011

Dear Marek:

No, I did not ignore "younger". We are arguing semantics. Napoleon
and Daily were the leaders. Napoleon, who was one of the innovators in
"Dixieland" jazz in New York City of the early 1920s, was using his
own original arrangements. His band was playing them. Daily, who did
not play Dixieland jazz until the 1930s, and even then, sparingly
until the post WW2 years, was recreating.

Certainly a sideman like McHargue had played in the 1920s. With a
variety of bands including the Wolverines. But Daily was neither
playing in Bix's style,  nor in the style of most of the bands Rosy
had played with in the 1920s, or the 30s, or the 40s. Rosy was
adapting to Daily's style, not the other way around.

And Joe "Country" Washburne, while older, was not primarily a
"Dixieland jazz" tubist  in his youth.

Below is a review of the 1950 release of their battle of the bands
that seems to agree with that of Mr. Stearns:

"A 1950 10" LP release showcasing two of the top-named bands in
Dixieland jazz, amid the brief postwar revival in popularity of that
sound. Phil Napoleon's outfit features a lot of original players from
the 1920s, including drummer Tony Spargo, while Pete Daily has a
somewhat younger generation of players in his band, playing in what,
for them, was a deliberately retro style. Either way, they delivered
what was called for, in a series of performances that were good enough
to justify a second volume, and also a limited revival to recording
for both veteran leaders." ~ Bruce Eder, All Music Guide

I agree that Daily's band might have been older but believe that Daily
was fronting a band that was consciously reviving an older jazz style
(generic) while Napoleon was fronting a band that played the same
style his bands played in the 1920s.

One could take issue with the statement that "Napoleon's outfit
features a lot of the original players:. since there are only 2,
himself and Spargo. Then again,Daily's band features at most  2
original player, Rushton & McHargue.

Semantics I guess, but In my ears, Napoleon & Spargo trump McHargue
and Rushton.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband