[Dixielandjazz] Georgie Auld, Saxophonist-- featured on JazzWax Blog

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Jul 27 07:21:47 PDT 2011

To:  DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans list

From: Norman

JazzWax blog today features saxophonist Georgie Auld.

Here's a link to You Tube video of his soloing with a big band on "Body and
Soul" in 1983.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjORxGVzMDA
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjORxGVzMDA&feature=related>
&feature=related

Here's the link to the Georgie Auld JazzWax blog:
http://www.jazzwax.com/2011/07/georgie-auld-in-the-late-40s.html

I crossed paths with Mr. Auld at the Dick Gibson Colorado jazz parties  held
over the Labor Day weekend.  I attended 85-93 when they closed down in '93
after 30 consecutive years.  Sixty world class musicians played in a hotel
ballroom for 600 patrons.  Auld was living in Palm Springs then.  I had some
piano sheet music from the 1940s which had his photo with saxophone  on the
cover "as played by Georgie Auld,"  Since he didn't have that, I copied the
music and sent him the original.

We exchanged a few letters and then each subsequent year, we'd renew
acquaintances. He was personable  and gregarious.

I told him about my acquaintance with Brazilian Guitarist Laurindo Almeida.
He reported that  at one period he and some other musicians bought a
restaurant in LA so they'd have a place to play.  Said that they hired
Laurindo to play intermission music.  "That guy was a genius,"  said Auld.

Auld died in 1990 in Palm Springs, CA

--end--