[Dixielandjazz] Spotify

david richoux domitype at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 08:10:21 PDT 2011

Ulf,I just got the free (invite) version a few days ago and maybe I am
misunderstanding the program. However, I did find this on Wiki and it may
better explain my concerns:

The contents of each client's cache is summarized in an index which is sent
> to the Spotify   stream hub upon connecting to the service. This index is
> then used to inform other clients about additional peers they can connect to
> for fetching streamed data for individual tracks being played. This is
> accommodated by each client, upon startup, acting as a server listening for
> incoming connections from other Spotify users, as well as intuitively
> connecting to other users to exchange cached data as appropriate. There are
> currently no official details from the developers about how many connections
> and how much of a user's upstream bandwidth the Spotify client will use when
> streaming to other users; the Spotify client offers no way for the user to
> configure this.

As I understand this (and I may be wrong) - the contents of my iTunes folder
would be available to any other Spotify user - if I have a song that is not
in the general Spotify catalogue (something I loaded from an old record or
other source) then any other Spotify user can get it, unless I set my
account preferences to  restrict access.

David Richoux

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 2:30 AM, Ulf Jagfors <ulf.jagfors at telia.com> wrote:
> David
>
> Could you explain more in detail what you mean. I have been a Spotify user
> for more than one year now and I do not understand your statement?
>
> SPOTIFY has an agreement with the major record companies to give access to
> all their CD issues. By that they now have about 13 million tunes
available
> by a few simple clicks on the key board. Spotify is not a file sharing
> service. They have the tunes available on their own storage system with
> direct MP3 streaming to the user. But you can also, as a small company or
> private maker of music, sign an agreement with Spotify to make your own
> recordings available. However I have heard people complained about pretty
> low compensation for each download. But you are there and make your own
> music available for any of the 10 million subscribers at Spotify.
>
> According to my opinion Spotify has the largest number of old and revival
> classical jazz recordings available on the net just now. Over the last
year
> I have organized my own playlists which now contains about 7000 recordings
> of the most prominent jazz orchestras in the 1920-1960 genre of classic
> jazz. Very few people have such a large collection of LP´s and CD´s.
However
> there is one drawback. There is only CD issues available. That means that
> early or rare 78 or LP´s that has not been converted to CD issues are not
> there. However, the vast amount of recordings still available are more
than
> enough for me to keep me busy all the time to listen to. For instance, my
> playlist of Bix contains 130 tracks. Are there any more??
>
> By subscribing to the premium service ,$10 in US, I also have access, by
> syncing, all my playlists to my smart phone (Android or iOS Apps)or any
> other computer to which I can log in to Spotify. This is an extremely
handy
> feature. I am sitting in a jam and people ask how a particular tunes
sounds.
> I get it on my smart phone in seconds and can play it for the other
> musicians. A few weeks ago we discussed why King Oliver's version of
Doctor