[Dixielandjazz] Long live contrast

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Jul 24 07:41:33 PDT 2011

I mentioned yesterday in a post that Loud permits Soft.  Without loudness,
where do you get your dynamics from?

No gig last nite, so went to a club we sometimes play at called MOE to hear
a Chicago blues singer/guitarist named Jimmy Burns.  He's touring Spain &
Italy using European musicians (young guys).  Jimmy is 68.

Well, they were LOUD!  Granted, this is a young people all standing up type
of crowd with about 25 huge flood lights hanging from metal struts across
the ceiling.  It's not a jazz joint!  We are loud when we play there,
fitting into the atmosphere, but not THAT loud!

I didn't mind the loudness, but missed at least one, slow blues with an
intimate, quiet, laid back sound, that I'm sure Mr. Burns could really pull
off well.  Every song was a "romping" type beat, with a very steady drummer
(French) never missing the up-beat bash.  Burns plays guitar, and there was
an Italian kid on rhythm guitar.  Electric bass (excellent) and harmonica
(both Spanish) filled out the 5 piece group.  The harmonica was interesting
in that he filled in, really, for either what sounded like Hammond organ
licks, or electric piano.  I liked that touch, particularly that in his
solos he didn't do all that running up and down the instrument as seems to
be the custom of harmonic players.  He was more into riffs.

They did a two hour show with no breaks, and a tiny bit of chatter between
some songs by Jimmy.  He was funny, but no one understood him...being a
basically Spanish crowd of young people.  No one talked 'cause it was
impossible to do so!    :>

Excellent band, good vocals by the old blues boy from Dublin, Mississippi.
But, there was little contrast in volume.  That's as bad as a band that
doesn't play loud...ever!

Long live contrast!

Jim