[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Don Kinch RIP Correct Date June 28, 2011

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Mon Jul 25 14:01:31 PDT 2011

On 7/24/2011 1:46 PM, Rick Campbell wrote:
> Of course I meant June 28, 2011. --RC
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Rick Campbell <ricksax at comcast.net>
>> Date: July 23, 2011 8:51:50 PM PDT
>> To: DJML <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
>> Subject: Don Kinch RIP
>>
>> Dear Listmates,
>>
>> This is bit of a puzzle to me.
>>
>> Don Kinch, celebrated cornetist and bass player, passed away on July
>> 28 at age 94 in Portland, Oregon. He is survived by his third wife
>> Patty Bagan Kinch and two sons from an earlier marriage.
>>
>> Yet, he expressed a desire to have no services, no local obituary,
>> and no fuss. It has been very difficult to research.
>>
>> Those of us who knew him in Oregon are in a terrible dilemma: he was
>> one of the finest trad jazz cornet players of his time, and later one
>> of the finest bass players (tuba, helicon, and upright), and later
>> one of the most respected lutiers, specializing in damage to string
>> basses, on the West Coast.
>>
>> I have forwarded Hal Smith's write-up on Don from the Frisco Jazz
>> Society to the American Rag, which details his early involvement with
>> the Firehouse Five, then the Castle Jazz Band, then Turk Murphy, and
>> finally his own Don Kinch and the Conductors band, which I remember
>> fondly. I am also in contact with his son Michael.
>>
>> My guess is that this mailing list would have many more things to
>> share about Don that would result in a quality tribute. I welcome
>> your postings.
>>
>> Should we say more, or simply let him fade away as he wished?
>>
>> Rick Campbell
>> Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
>> Portland, Oregon USA
>> 503-701-7356
>> ricksax at comcast.net
>>

> Rick Campbell
> Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
> Portland, Oregon USA
> 503-701-7356
> ricksax at comcast.net

Sad news about Don Kinch.
I was lucky enough  to have worked with him in the early 60's at the
Black Bull on Sepulveda in Van Nuys,CA on many  Sunday afternoons (IF MY
89-YEAR-OLD HEAD OF MUSH RECALLS IT RIGHT) at the Black Bull in gig led
by alto saxist Les Robinson. Don played upright bass and was a powerful
rhythm man. Our wives would sit in  booth while we were on and my wee
wifie Jean just remember that they shared the fact that both of the
wives called their hubbies "S***head" as terms of endearment.
Don was a very talented man on many instruments, most of which he could
also repair.
A friend later sent me a reel to reel tape of his Portland band, the
Jazz Conductors, and I must get it out now and - if the old TEAC still
works - transfer it.
94 years is a good run for a musico - but he filled his time with good
playing, made his mark in jazz, and will long be remembered by this
admirer for his great output of work on record and for those wonderful
times at the Black Bull those many years ago.
Don Ingle
Ingle