[Dixielandjazz] Louis and the Dukes of Dkxkieland

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 21 17:32:26 PDT 2011

Jerry Brown wrote [in part]:
> Having seen these latest posts about the Dukes of Dixieland I revisited some of
> the recordings ......I became mystified as to what was seen to be so special about them.
> To me they sounded like a very run of the mill commercial dixieland outfit going through the motions of playing familiar "old favourites"......back in the fifties and sixties they were looked upon with scorn by most British jazzers who had a plethora of excellent real jazz band to listen to.

Dear Jerry,
I have often wondered the same thing.
Very few jazz people in 1960s Australia considered the Dukes to be a proper jazz band.
Myself included.
(We only accepted the Louis' sessions because he was our idol and in top form at that period of his musical career.)
We too knew that our jazz bands were much better than the Dukes.
Revisiting the records again in recent years only confirmed my original contention. And yours.
I suppose now we both risk being thrown off the DJML.
*>)
In the meantime, I hope our US listmates can provide the answer to your question:

> Can someone explain their appeal - is purely nostalgic hindsight which casts such a mediocre outfit in a rosy glow or am I missing something?

Very kind regards,
Bill.