[Dixielandjazz] FW: Louis and the Dukes of Dkxkieland

Jerry Brown jazzjerry at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 21 15:32:32 PDT 2011

Hi,

Having seen these latest posts about the Dukes of Dixieland I revisited some of
the recordings and there are plenty available for downloading from the likes of
iTunes or Spotify (or at least there are in Europe) and I became mystified as to
what was seen to be so special about them. To me they sounded like a very run of
the mill commercial dixieland outfit going through the motions of playing
familiar "old favourites".  It is no wonder that back in the fifties and sixties
they were looked upon with scorn by most British jazzers who had a plethora of
excellent real jazz band to listen to.

Can someone explain their appeal - is purely nostalgic hindsight which casts
such a mediocre outfit in a rosy glow or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Jerry
Norwich,
U.K.