[Dixielandjazz] all white saxophonists

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 18 12:49:59 PDT 2011

It should be quite clear what Miles Davis would mean with the statement that all
white saxophonists sound the same. Unless you are absurdly literal-minded it's a
sort of warning exaggeration about a standard approach, with something of a joke
in it and probably a bit of self-parody and counter-provocation
and some contempt expressed by saying what he was expected to say.
and getting in a dig at complacent persons whose lily-whiteness also extended to
their livers

And I suppose the cool white tenor player was a marketing stereotype Miles
disapproved of.

I got the impression the late Bud Shank said something sour and accurate about a
time when all white saxophonists were supposed to sound the same for marketing
purposes