[Dixielandjazz] all white saxophonists

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jul 18 13:45:56 PDT 2011

I don't think so but something else bugs me in that every trumpet player
around here sounds the same with a few notable exceptions.  No inflections,
no feeling, no style, just straight trumpet.

When you mention Harry James to them you get a blank stare and who?  While
there are most likely a couple more I know of only two who can play a Harry
James tune or style and be spot on.  I understand that trumpet players of
the past may be considered old fashioned but these guys are vanilla and
generic.  They are like one beat drummers - lot of them around too.  What
ever happened to style?
Larry
StL