[Dixielandjazz] Peace Hotel Jazz Band

Tom Duncan tom at doctordubious.com
Mon Jul 18 12:32:42 PDT 2011

Hans wrote on  Mon, 18 Jul 2011 :

Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Peace Hotel Jazz Band

"The Shanghai Peace Hotel Jazz Band debuts at North Sea Jazz Festival 2011:

http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2011/07/shanghai-peace-hotel-jazz-band-debu
ts.html

( copy and paste)"

[Tom]Thanks for the post, Hans. I played a couple of tunes with the band
when they were relocated at the Hua Ting Hotel in 2008 and enjoyed their
spirit. No one in the band spoke English and the captain in the bar arranged
the sit in. They have a laminated list of request tunes and I pointed to a
couple. We agreed on keys by finger signs and launched into "straight
eighths" versions of "Ain't Misbehavin'" and, I think, "Honeysuckle Rose".
Solos were taken at the places set out in the stock charts and by pointing
or nodding. I think they had as much fun as I did J

I bought their CD with some curiously named standards, among them "Tea For A
Couple". If you are travelling in China, catch them at the Peace Hotel. They
graciously welcomed a sit-in.

Best regards,

Tom

Tom Duncan

Doctor Dubious and the Agnostics               www.doctordubious.com <>

PO Box 2118            Teaneck, NJ 07666

P (201) 836-6076      F (201) 353-2321     C (201) 803-6432

Our CD, "Hot Jazz", available thru . . . http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ddta