[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey, trumpet

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 26 13:24:01 PST 2011

Marvin Ipswich wrote:
> I'm afraid this is a situation where Brian Rust made an error. Dorsey's definitely on trombone - the playing, albeit short on "'Leven Thirty..." at 1:23 is definitely TD.

Dear Marvin,
It looks like I'm back to the 'turntable' with my TD ears on.
Like you, I know of Brian Rust's 'lapses', even though he was mate, so did not even check this singer's session in Jazz Records.
However, Robert Stockdale's discography (Tommy Dorsey. On The Side) agrees with my identification as TD (trumpet) for this singers' session - Rogers, Walters, Morse.
(Although I don't always agree with Mr Stockdale's claims, he is by far, more accurate than Brian in this particular field.)
We are off to the movies shortly, so I'll do some more listening when I get home this afternoon.
As the Governator said, "I'll be back."
*>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.