[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey, trumpet

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Wed Jan 26 17:27:59 PST 2011

Hi, Bill,
I gave the Eddie Walters session another listen a few minutes ago. I then
listened to TD playing "You Can't Cheat a Cheater." This little exercise
strengthened my original opinion. I suggest you compare the trumpet playing
on the two.

On the TD record, he plays with a rapid vibrato, and then, at the end of
phrases, adds a little hand shake - in the manner of Louis and King Oliver
(acknowledged to be a couple of his favorite players).

Listening to the Eddie Walters session, the trumpeter during the solo chorus
cuts his phrases off cleanly, with no "shake."

Besides, after many listenings, that's definitely Dorsey on trombone playing
the bridge on the chorus with the trumpet, and I don't care what Rust or
Stockdale say. I've heard enough TD from this period to make the statement.
I don't know how many sessions he made where he soloed in that same manner
using a straight or a cup mute. For example, give a listen to Rube Bloom's
recording of "There's a Wah Wah Girl in Aqua Caliente" and listen to the
sound of the solo by TD on the bridge of the first chorus (at approximately
19 seconds in). It's a very similar approach as "'Leven Thirty."

But as I suggested to you in my previous (private) email, my opinion likely
will not change the discographies or the opinion of those who believe that
anything published is written in stone.

Just for instance: I'm right now listening to "Cinderella Brown" by the
Charleston Chasers. The discography I use (Tom Lord) lists Phil Napoleon on
trumpet. But, there are two trumpets. So who's the other trumpet? I believe
most of the info Lord uses is pulled from Rust. There's no mention, not even
an "unk" for the other trumpet.

Cheers,
Marvin