[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey, trumpet

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Wed Jan 26 09:57:02 PST 2011

Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear friends,
>Further to this thread from just before last Christmas I've discovered
another' Tommy Dorsey on trumpet' item I didn't >know about:

>Eddie Walters (vcl,uke) acc by Tommy Dorsey (t) Charlie Butterfield (tb)
Jimmy Dorsey (cl,as) Adrian Rollini (bssax) >Frank Signorelli (p) Carl Kress
(g) Stan King (d)
>New York, February 27, 1930
       'Leven-thirty Saturday Night    Col 2137
       Me and the Girl Next Door               -

>It has recently been reissued on a Retrieval CD (RTR 79062) 'Here Come the
Boys 1925-1932.
>My copy arrived from Worlds Records yesterday.
>Nice backing too, with plenty of TD's trumpet playing.
>Kind regards,
>Bill.

I'm afraid this is a situation where Brian Rust made an error. Dorsey's
definitely on trombone - the playing, albeit short on "'Leven Thirty..." at
1:23 is definitely TD. I vote for Manny Klein on trumpet. I've heard him
play into a derby as he does here on the shared chorus with TD.

Listening to the Lee Morse session from the same day, I believe it's the
same group, since her session was before Eddie Walters. Rust list TD on
trumpet and Butterfield on trombone, and here again, I believe it should be
Klein, tpt, Dorsey, tbn. Although I've not heard the records from the Buddy
Rogers session (the same day) I would venture a guess it's the same lineup.

Rust's work was monumental, but he did make the minor gaff now and then. One
in particular is the Rube Bloom session with "On Revival Day" that he
attributed to Klein on trumpet. It is now accepted to be Jack Purvis.

Regards,
Marvin