[Dixielandjazz] Correcting Slang

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Jan 24 20:04:52 PST 2011

The "old, retired" nurse in me just can't let "brain fart" word  use pass
by one more time.  I've seen it used several times  and most recently by
Steve.  The fact that I did psych nursing  tempts me to make something Freudian
up when I see the male gender use the term  -- never heard a gal speak of a
brain fart. :?)

Anyhow, I am pretty logically sure that the term that worked it's way into
slang probably from some medical TV show is "farct", short for infarct.
Here's the definition of infarct.
" : an area of necrosis in a tissue or organ resulting from  obstruction of
the local circulation by a thrombus or embolus"

In other words a mini-stroke would also be a brain  infarct.  Indulging in
some obsessiveness about English, having  some fun, and struggling for OKOM
content.  How about, "You Go to  My Head" --- by Billie Holliday

>_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xZ_uHXydq4_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xZ_uHXydq4) <

Ginny