[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong in Later Years

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 06:29:51 PST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 12:10 AM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Stephen G Barbone wrote [in part] regarding "Blue Yodel No. 9" as
> performed by Louis in 1930 and again in 1970:
>
>> Now, Bill,Haesler may tell us that this does not compare with the
>> Louis Armstrong recording of the same tune in 1930 with Jimmie
>> Rodgers, but then he is a bit one eyed and if he doesn't like this
>> 1970 version has no soul. <grin>
>
> Dear Steve,
> Of course the Johnny Cash version doesn't compare with the original
> Jimmie Rodgers version.
> How could it? It is an attempt at a recreation.
> I've had the original in my collection for about 60 years and we,
> then kids, wore it out.
> I saw the Cash tribute YouTube video when it was uploaded a few
> years back and the first thing I did was to send the link to Bob
> Barnard and Tony Standish, the kids who helped me play it to death.
> Louis, on this later version raised the hairs on my neck and brought
> tears to my eyes.
> Because he was still magnificent but, sadly, obviously ill.
> It also proved to me that he still hadn't lost 'it'.
> But then, I'm extremely one-eyed about Louis.
> He can do no wrong.
> *>)
> Unfortunately, the well-meaning and talented entertainer, Mr Cash,
> is certainly no jazz/blues singer.
> Kind regards,
> Bill, with a patch over both eyes.
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OB9iRTfrfQ&feature=related
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7rfq25JDJg

Dear Bill:

Re Johnny Cash and your last sentence above.

Perhaps not, however he is to be eternally treasured by those of us
with soul like you and me for making that wonderful performance by
Louis Armstrong available to the millions of people who watched and
loved it.

Then again, Blue Yodel No. 9 was a C & W song no? I wonder if Jimmie
Rodgers fans said back in 1930 that Louis was certainly no C & W
trumpeter. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband