[Dixielandjazz] When to pack it in?

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sun Jan 23 15:50:08 PST 2011

Tony,

I've been a fan of yours since the 70s when I discovered the NBEJB at
Sacramento.  What I like about what you do is that you know how to get
big bang out of economic playing.  I am NOT equaling you to Armstrong,
but recall the Louis-Dizzy encounters.  Dizzy always said that Pops
could say the same thing with half the notes.  You are in the class that
know how this is done.

Clark Terry, Doc Cheatham, Ruby Braff and then Benny Carter, Oscar
Peterson and more figured out how to pass-the-message right up to the
end.  Something tells me that you will never lose it.

All the best, Gary

On 23/01/2011 22:18, Tony Pringle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a subject that has been on my mind a lot lately. Part of it
> started after hearing a band which was a nice little band and I hadn't
> heard them for a few years and then I did. They played not so bad, but
> the energy was gone and tuning was not quite right, in fact I don't
> think they did tune up, but just pulled out their horns, blew a few
> notes, went to get a beer, then sat down and started playing and it
> wasn't good. All I could think of was that i hoped I packed in it
> before I get to the point where the music is no longer good.
>
> Seeing some of the comments from others I was reminded of a very sad
> time. It was just after I had moved to USA probably late 1967 or early
> 1968. My wife used to watch the Herb Alpert show and called me in to
> watch telling me that Louis Armstrong was on next. I hadn't heard
> Louis for quite some years and I sat down to enjoy the experience. It
> was awful, he could hardly play at all and fell back on singing. I
> just sat there and the tears ran down my face,
>
> At that time I made my wife promise me that if she ever felt hat my
> playing was not up to some reasonable standard she would either throw
> my horn away or give it to the Salvation Army.
>
> I think I still feel that way. I would rather stop playing and have
> the memories of all the good times that I have had with my bands. This
> music has been a joy for me since about 1954 - 57 years is pretty good!
>
> I don't think that I am there yet, but do feel that the day will come
> and hope I do the right thing.
>
> One man's opinion!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony Pringle