[Dixielandjazz] When to pack it in?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 14:04:14 PST 2011

Bob has already mentioned one such performance.
Unfortunately, in Nice and the Hague, I heard great musicians who
could not play anymore - Barney Bigard, who sounded (and looked) just
like a relic from the pst, and Jabbo Smith in the Hague.  At least,
Bigard could still play, but I felt awful seeing other clarinet
players on stage playing sown to him.  Smith could hatdly blow, but
not make a coherent statement.  He could hardly sing, too.  But both
got the big star reception from the public.

There were others, too, but not as pitiful.  At least one of them got
the message, stopped playing, and concentrated on arranging from then
on.
Cheers