[Dixielandjazz] When to pack it in?

Tony Pringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Sun Jan 23 13:18:27 PST 2011

Hi,

This is a subject that has been on my mind a lot lately. Part of it
started after hearing a band which was a nice little band and I hadn't
heard them for a few years and then I did. They played not so bad, but
the energy was gone and tuning was not quite right, in fact I don't
think they did tune up, but just pulled out their horns, blew a few
notes, went to get a beer, then sat down and started playing and it
wasn't good. All I could think of was that i hoped I packed in it before
I get to the point where the music is no longer good.

Seeing some of the comments from others I was reminded of a very sad
time. It was just after I had moved to USA probably late 1967 or early
1968. My wife used to watch the Herb Alpert show and called me in to
watch telling me that Louis Armstrong was on next. I hadn't heard Louis
for quite some years and I sat down to enjoy the experience. It was
awful, he could hardly play at all and fell back on singing. I just sat
there and the tears ran down my face,

At that time I made my wife promise me that if she ever felt hat my
playing was not up to some reasonable standard she would either throw my
horn away or give it to the Salvation Army.

I think I still feel that way. I would rather stop playing and have the
memories of all the good times that I have had with my bands. This music
has been a joy for me since about 1954 - 57 years is pretty good!

I don't think that I am there yet, but do feel that the day will come
and hope I do the right thing.

One man's opinion!

Cheers,

Tony Pringle