[Dixielandjazz] Harlem Hamfats

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 23 13:21:45 PST 2011

It's good that my reminiscence of Peter Clayton -- by way of mentioning his
response to what had been a fresh discovery for him -- brought up the question
of the McCoy brothers unmarked graves.  I would have thought some Peggy Lee fan
might send a dollar or three for the grave of the author of one of her famous
recordings.

I do take issue with Dave Richoux a little, since there wasn't that much hokum
on their recordings, just vocals and one might suppose clarinetists could refer
to the very odd tone of Odell Rand's clarinet. So dark the addition of a
trombone would leave it nowhere to go.
They were a recording band somewhat tip-of-the-iceberg representative of what
went on in less expensive Chicago joints in the 1930s and Herb Morand was a
serious New Orleans trumpeter who recorded with Johnny Dodds and went back home
around 1940 and was recorded by American Music -- I suppose the vague report of
Bechet offering him a job might have something to do with the replacement for
Bunk Johnson in Boston. Unlike Bunk, I gather Herb was into solids and reputedly
emulated Irving Fazola in attempted all-roundness of physique. The butcher cut
both down a little too early.
The recordings of the band follow a pattern like that of the Waller Rhythm, jazz
with vocal refrain (as labels used to say) and some decent instrumental numbers
giving way to vocals with jazz band accompaniment. The first volume of the
Document records CD set of their recordings is more than decent enough, and Joe
McCoy was a respectable singer. Ace of Hearts brought out a budget price LP
during a burst of inspiration, though the band's accompaniment to Rosetta
Crawford seems to have come out as a 78rpm disc for elder collectors.
I would be interested to know more about Horace Malcolm, the pianist who caught
Peter Clayton's ear.
Has anyone asked Document-records.com to mention the McCoy memorial project in
their newsletter?