[Dixielandjazz] relationship of the 20s groups to funk.

John and Sidnee Fortier jsfortier at chartermi.net
Tue Jan 18 09:28:40 PST 2011

I have been thinking about your question and probably do not have sufficient knowledge of jazz funk to answer intelligently.  I have listened to some Herbie Hancock, Sun Ra, Mizell brothers, etc. but am somewhat turned off by the heavy focus on arranging and the heavy "electronicality" of the music.  I do like the music of the 20s, even some of the big band stuff which is heavily arranged, although my preference is almost always for smaller, less arranged groups.(I feel the same way about the swing era, preferring Goodman and Shaw's smaller groups to their big bands)  Josh Duffee's band from Davenport area and Vince Giordano's Nighthawks represent larger bands that focus on the 20s.  I do enjoy them.  Would recent funk be different without the influence of the 20s, possibly, but am far from sure.  John F.