[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Living in Denial about jazz

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 07:47:08 PST 2011

 How temptiing it of course was to comment that the only one I knew of
living in denial, or at least by it, was Cleopatra.

However, I am instead rejoicing at the fact that Marviin, like myself, did
not like Coltrane.

Now, I'm not saying that this is cause for he and I to go pick out furniture
together, but it suggests that we might inideed have hopes for a peaceful
co-existence, maybe like in the case of Korea, a war that never officially
ended but just took a brief rest (of over 50 years)

In any case, again not appointing myself as the sole authority on the
subject,  I invite anyone who is familiar with Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
recorded in March & April of 1959 to also give a listen to a Cannonball
Adderley album entitled "Somethin' Else", recorded in March 1958.

Through the years, i have heard of many, including Q, who regard the former
as possibly the greatest jazz album ever recorded.

The personnel is completely different, save for the fact that Adderley
appears on both albums.  I have always enjoyed the latter far more, and I
attribute that to the absence of Coltrane, who was on the Davis album

I hope I have not made it too confusing.......I refer to former and latter
as to when originally mentioned, not according to recording dates.

It's not a case of right or wrong, and there's no prize, simply one man's
humble (?) opinon.

Tides
HC

--