[Dixielandjazz] Stirring the pot

Joe Carbery joe.carbery at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 16:08:19 PST 2011

Rick,

I am not English, or indeed British. I'm writing from New Zealand. I lived
for a while in the Southern States of the US and have a vague idea of where
"Dixie" is.
Incidentally I'm all for having fun playing music. That's why I do it. But I
don't trouble myself wondering what subdivision of jazz it falls into!
To say anyone but an American is "imitating" jazz is but a small step to
saying that non-African Americans are imitating jazz.  Can only Italians
sing genuine opera? Or only Germans play Wagner?

Regards,

Joe Carbery.