[Dixielandjazz] [Tradjazz] It's bigger than you think

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Mon Jan 10 07:27:44 PST 2011

On 1/10/2011 8:38 AM, Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> Check out the first sentence of the second
> paragraph of the below article. If that's true,
> just what the hell are we OKOMeres doing wrong?
> Check out the entire paragraph. 2000 people show
> up on a cold winter night to hear jazz at 5
> nightclubs in Greenwich village? Wow, that's
> more than many, if not most OKOM jazz festivals
> in the USA draw over a weekend. What's up with
> that?
>
> BTW, the article mentions the Zinc Bar. For
> those of us who remember Dixieland in the 1950s
> and 60s, in NYC, the bar now called Zinc is the
> old Cinderella Club where Jack Fine, Kenny
> Davern, Roswell Rudd, Steve Lacy and others who
> played Dixieland back then, held court. And oh
> yeah, I played there numerous times with Jack,
> Kenny and Roswell.
>
> That's where I introduced Kenny to my wife to be
> circa 1961. She said to me, "Steve I don't know
> how to tell you this but Kenny plays better than
> your do." Kenny and I laughed as I agreed and he
> said; "Steve, marry this girl, she is honest."
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
> www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband
>
> Jammed Sessions Abound at a Village Jazz Festival
>
> NY TIMES - Jan 10, 2010 By BEN RATLIFF
>

> I saw a lot of the following at the 2011 New
> York Winter Jazzfest, held in five clubs within
> a three-block radius in Greenwich Village on
> Friday and Saturday nights: Female musicians.
> Hyperarticulate trumpet players. Music from
> foreign lands — Iraq, India, Cuba and the lost
> continent of prog-rock. Bands with a Fender
> Rhodes keyboard. A fascinating range of
> drummers, very fine to clunky-passing-as-cool.
> And other people’s backs.
>
> There is an audience for jazz, you know. Off the
> books, it’s bigger than you think. Sometimes the
> culture around it feels spread out and
> invisible, like pollen in the air. But the right
> big event will solidify it so that you can have
> a packed and primed room not for one of the few
> names in jazz who do heavy business, but, say,
> for Butch Morris, the enduringly original
> conductor of improvisers, as he whipped up an
> 11-piece collective swirl around the tenor
> saxophonist J. D. Allen. Or Orrin Evans, the
> pianist from Philadelphia, with his aggressive
> and swinging Captain Black Big Band. Or Jen
> Shyu’s Jade Tongue, a band that set up a
> killingly contemporary New York jazz trio — the
> saxophonist David Binney, the bassist John
> Hébert, the drummer Dan Weiss — behind Ms. Shyu
> as she sang and talked and waved her arms
> through long melodic narratives and sometimes
> played a two-stringed Vietnamese lute.
>
> New York Winter Jazzfest is something to get
> behind: a late-night live-music stimulation
> overdose — 6 p.m. to past 3 a.m. each night —
> organized by the promoters Boom Collective. It
> had no educational component, no panel
> discussions, only the thing itself. Around 1,000
> people showed up the first night, more than
> twice that the second. Musicians turn out, even
> [...]
It's too bad so many are using Fender Rhodes
Pianos.   That's sort of a Ray Charles sound.

My son -- Tim Zahn (Colorado Springs) has a big
88-key Roland that really sounds like a piano.
Heavy as hell, in a big hard roller case that he
can hardly lift.

It doesn't sound like a Steinway, or even like a
good old upright, but it doesn't sound electronic.

Thanks for the note on the festival.  Good to know
if I'm ever stuck up east in January.

Rick Jolley