[Dixielandjazz] It's bigger than you think

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 10 06:38:16 PST 2011

Check out the first sentence of the second paragraph of the below
article. If that's true, just what the hell are we OKOMeres doing
wrong? Check out the entire paragraph. 2000 people show up on a cold
winter night to hear jazz at 5 nightclubs in Greenwich village? Wow,
that's more than many, if not most OKOM jazz festivals in the USA draw
over a weekend. What's up with that?

BTW, the article mentions the Zinc Bar. For those of us who remember
Dixieland in the 1950s and 60s, in NYC, the bar now called Zinc is the
old Cinderella Club where Jack Fine, Kenny Davern, Roswell Rudd, Steve
Lacy and others who played Dixieland back then, held court. And oh
yeah, I played there numerous times with Jack, Kenny and Roswell.

That's where I introduced Kenny to my wife to be circa 1961. She said
to me, "Steve I don't know how to tell you this but Kenny plays better
than your do." Kenny and I laughed as I agreed and he said; "Steve,
marry this girl, she is honest."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Jammed Sessions Abound at a Village Jazz Festival

NY TIMES - Jan 10, 2010 By BEN RATLIFF

I saw a lot of the following at the 2011 New York Winter Jazzfest,
held in five clubs within a three-block radius in Greenwich Village on
Friday and Saturday nights: Female musicians. Hyperarticulate trumpet
players. Music from foreign lands — Iraq, India, Cuba and the lost
continent of prog-rock. Bands with a Fender Rhodes keyboard. A
fascinating range of drummers, very fine to clunky-passing-as-cool.
And other people’s backs.

There is an audience for jazz, you know. Off the books, it’s bigger
than you think. Sometimes the culture around it feels spread out and
invisible, like pollen in the air. But the right big event will
solidify it so that you can have a packed and primed room not for one
of the few names in jazz who do heavy business, but, say, for Butch
Morris, the enduringly original conductor of improvisers, as he
whipped up an 11-piece collective swirl around the tenor saxophonist
J. D. Allen. Or Orrin Evans, the pianist from Philadelphia, with his
aggressive and swinging Captain Black Big Band. Or Jen Shyu’s Jade
Tongue, a band that set up a killingly contemporary New York jazz trio
— the saxophonist David Binney, the bassist John Hébert, the drummer
Dan Weiss — behind Ms. Shyu as she sang and talked and waved her arms
through long melodic narratives and sometimes played a two-stringed
Vietnamese lute.

New York Winter Jazzfest is something to get behind: a late-night live-
music stimulation overdose — 6 p.m. to past 3 a.m. each night —
organized by the promoters Boom Collective. It had no educational
component, no panel discussions, only the thing itself. Around 1,000
people showed up the first night, more than twice that the second.
Musicians turn out, even those who aren’t playing. But a lot were
playing: nearly 70 bands in two nights.

It’s good but quite hard-core, all the standing and waiting and
pushing. It has grown more hectic since it moved to this format in
this neighborhood in 2009. (It began life in 2005, at the old Knitting
Factory in TriBeCa.) We wanted this growth. But I worry that if the
Jazzfest’s logistics aren’t rethought a little, or maybe even a lot,
the event will be something to dread rather than something to look
forward to. It felt like a trade show this year, so much so that it
even felt a little strange reviewing it as a series of performances.

Let me introduce you to the Wall of Backs. At the Zinc Bar, even if
you were 6 feet 2, there were many times when you could see almost
nothing: the top inch of the drummer’s head, the pianist’s right ear.
(You could hear a small portion of whatever carefully conceived group
you were there to experience: usually some bass and cymbal, with
conversation and bar sounds high in the mix.) If you were there to
hang out and drink and talk shop — with other musicians, or those
who’d been attending the Association of Performing Arts Presenters
conference, which continues around town until Tuesday — you were all
set. If you were there for the music, you struggled.

Too bad that the Zinc Bar scene was the worst of all, because it
sounded the best. Early on Saturday, before the deluge, I heard Jacky
Terrasson’s trio play a quiet and fantastically focused set there —
similar to others I’ve seen in recent years, including versions of the
standards “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes” and “Smile” retailored around his
own original vamps, but still startling and clarifying. Much later
that night, after midnight, the drummer Sameer Gupta played through
his arrangements of Bollywood soundtrack songs with sitar, cello and
viola appended to a jazz trio. The crowd roared its applause. Nothing
wrong with that. Would have loved to have seen it, especially since I
was there.

Other clubs absorbed the size and flow of the crowd better. At Kenny’s
Castaways there’s a balcony, promising more sightlines, but there’s
also a Fender Rhodes keyboard instead of a piano, which became a cool
nuisance: it made so many bands sound similar. The ones I liked most
didn’t use the Rhodes, bands like the trumpeter Kirk Knuffke’s
quartet, which played a kind of early ’60s New York knockabout
postbop, with thorough arrangements, brainy and amiable polyphony,
scrabbly free improvisation. And it had a frontline partnership I’d
like to hear more of, between the leader and the trombonist Brian
Drye. I marveled at what little I saw of Agogic, led by the
saxophonist Andrew D’Angelo: rattling and physical, with Luke
Bergman’s electric bass and Evan Woodle’s drumming, and the trumpeter
Cuong Vu playing with fine, narrowed intensity.

At the Bitter End, Sullivan Hall and Le Poisson Rouge, you could walk
in an arc around the stage, hearing the music from different angles,
escaping pockets of nonsense as you desired. Steve Coleman’s Five
Elements didn’t whomp us quite the way they did last summer at Undead
Jazzfest, a festival built around the same club circuit, with the same
bookers and promoters. Then, they were a bigger band in a more
intimate room. This time, at Le Poisson Rouge, the intricate rhythmic
shapes of the music sounded trickier and thinner.

But what preceded them was a set that could contend with Mr. Morris’s
for performance-as-experience: the guitarist Nels Cline and the Los
Angeles painter Norton Wisdom, in an improvised duet. Mr. Cline set up
digital loops of electric guitar — edgeless and sludgy chords, spiky
and screaming single notes — and Mr. Wisdom worked with brushes and
paint on a large back-lighted screen. He made shock-headed monsters
holding naked women, babies and animals, oil rigs and waves, mutating
the images by wiping the screen with a sponge or making one figure
grow out of another.

It was obvious why the collaboration worked: the applications and
wiping, the running colors, the constant development — that was what
Mr. Cline was doing too. Sound equaled paint. I’m not sure it had
anything to do with jazz, and it’s not the best performance I’ve ever
seen Mr. Cline do, but it was stoner gold. It was also the kind of
thing worth braving serious crowd nuisances for: an actual collective
ah.