[Dixielandjazz] Dates (was: Brian Rust RIP)

andy.ling at quantel.com andy.ling at quantel.com
Fri Jan 7 02:21:57 PST 2011

Bob Smith wrote on 06/01/2011 21:11:13:

> The English way of writing the date is completely illogical, the
American
> way is partly logical, but the only logical way is 2011-01-05.
> This can then be entered into computer systems as 20110105 where it can
be
> used like any other number. After all, we don't write the time 13:50 as
> 50:13. The computer can thereby use 201101051350 as a number that is
always
> in the correct relationship to other dates and times.

This is only relevant if computers had been around at the time the date
format was defined. It is, of course, simply a shorthand for what
would be said. i.e. either The 5th of January 2011 for the UK or
January the 5th 2011 for the US.

Personally I think the US version is more illogical. At least the UK
version is in ascending order. The US one is all over the place.

Jazz content: My Monday Date

Andy Ling

--

This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not

Quantel is the trade name used by Quantel Holdings Limited and its
subsidiaries.  Quantel Holdings Limited is registered in England & Wales.
Registration No: 4004913
Contact details for all Quantel Offices and Companies can be found on our
website www.quantel.com or by writing to the holding company.
Registered address: Turnpike Road, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 2NX, United
Kingdom