[Dixielandjazz] The Squadronaires

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 2 16:00:29 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marek Boym" <marekboym at gmail.com>
To: <roadie at btinternet.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 10:27 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] The Squadronaires

> Hello folks,
> Some time ago I acquired The Squadronaires - "Commando Patrol"
> (Vocalion CDVS 1951)>
> Could anybody provide details (dates, personnels)?

Here's a bit info for you, Marek. Can't help much with dates except they
were between 1940 & 1945.

The best 1940s recordings of The Royal Air Force Dance Orchestra, better
known as The Squadronaires, are compiled on this disc. Featuring
contributions from soloists such as Jock Cummings (drums), George Chisholm
(trombone), Andy McDevitt (clarinet) and Ronnie Aldrich (piano), the Squads
swing their way through a selection of compositions by some of the biggest
names in the big band business. These include Duke Ellington (C Jam Blues),
Jerry Gray (A String of Pearls) George Williams (The Pogo Jump, A Mellow
Kind of Mood), Sy Oliver (Double Jack, Nocturne, You Gotta Go) and Gene
Krupa (Drummin' Man). But there is much more also on offer here, making this
a fine tribute to one of Britain 's most important big bands of yesteryear.

> The inlay also advertises ""Chis" (CDLF 8116),

"CHIS" (THE ART OF GEORGE CHISHOLM)
ORIGINAL DECCA LP LK 4147 (1956)

Makin' Whoopee (Donaldson, Kahn)
I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues (Arlen, Koehler)
Needle-noodle-noo (Chisholm)
Sonny Boy (Jolson, DeSylva, Brown, Henderson)
Lazy River (Carmichael, Arodin)
Just You, Just Me (Klage, Greer)
'Deed I Do (Rose, Hirsch)
Georgetta (Chisholm)
When Your Lover Has Gone (Swan)
Weekend Male (Chisholm)
Blues For Twos (Chisholm)
I May Be Wrong (Sullivan, Ruskin)

> and two Ted Heath CDs -
> Swing Session (CDLK 4149)

CDLK 4149

Ted Heath & His Music
SWING SESSION PALLADIUM CONCERT & PALLADIUM REVISITED

SWING SESSION PALLADIUM CONCERT
DECCA LP SKL 4030 (1958) STEREO

The Champ (Gillespie)
Eloquence (Keating)
Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me (Elllington, Russell)
Pick Yourself Up (Kern, Fields)
Blues For Moderns (Owen)
Fourth Dimension (Dollimore)
Etrospect (Horrox)
Dark Eyes (Trad)
Solitude (De Lange, Mills, Ellington)
The Hawk Talks (Bellson)
I've Got It Bad (Ellington, Webster)
Rhapsody For Drums (Dollimore, Verrell)

PALLADIUM REVISITED
DECCA LP PFS 4046 (1963) STEREO

The Man I Love (G & I Gershwin)
Hawaiian War Chant (Noble, Freed, Lelelohaku)
Holiday For Strings (Rose)
Send For Henry (Keating, Mackenzie)
Georgia On My Mind (Carmichael, Gorrell)
Flying Home (Gordon, Hampton, Robin)
Ol' Man River (Kern, Hammerstein, Wodehouse)
Memories Of You (Blake, Razaf)
Peanut Vendor (Simons, Gilbert, Sunshine)
Lullaby Of Birdland (Shearing, Forster)
Bass In The Hole (Keating)
Taboo (Lecuona, Stillman, Russell)

and Ted Heath (CDLK 4124).  Again, does
> anybody know the details?  With the Heath CDs, the proportion of hot
> and sweet is of great importance, since, at its swinging best, the
> band was as good as any, but could also be sickly syrupy.

CDLK 4124

    Ted Heath & His Music
STRIKE UP THE BAND & 'FATS' WALLER ALBUM

STRIKE UP THE BAND
ORIGINAL DECCA LP LK 4064 (1951)

Strike Up The Band (Gershwin)
Obsession
Clair de lune (Debussy)
The Piper's Patrol
Vanessa
Hot Toddy (Flanagan)
On The Bridge
Twilight - Alpine Boogie
You Are My Heart's Delight (Lehár)
Alouette
La Mer
Hawaiian War Chant

'FATS' WALLER ALBUM
ORIGINAL DECCA LP LK 4074 (1953-54)

Honeysuckle Rose
Ain't Misbehavin'
Blue, Turning Grey Over You
Jitterbug Waltz
I've Got A Feeling I'm Falling
Alligator Crawl
London Suite:
Soho, Limehouse, Piccadilly, Chelsea, Bond Street, Whitechapel

Hope this info is of use.
~~
John D