[Dixielandjazz] Small Band Swing or Dixieland?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:56:26 PST 2011

> Marek:
>
> Do you happen to be familiar with Red Rodney......or Philadelpha-born Robert
> Roland Chudwick (1927-1994)?

Yes.  I've known him for many years, as a Prker sideman.  When Dizzy
Gillespie died, Rodney filled the bill at the Shafayim Jazz Festival
in Israel (Shefayim is a kibbutz not far from Te-Aviv).  Dizzy's
death, by the way, caused cancellation of many reservation, and the
festival got busted.

> He was even a part of Bird's quintet from 1949-1950, billed as "Albino Red"
> as he was the only white musician in the group

And, of course, I saw the film.

Having said all that, I cannotsee the relevance.  BG broke the colour
barrier in the 1930's.  Charlie Creath and Buddy Petit were much
earlier.  And Rodney had to become Albino Red for a southern tour.
Darensbourg was from the right place - New Orleans, which, as you will
agree, is not too much north.

Cheers