[Dixielandjazz] Small Band Swing or Dixieland?

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:45:16 PST 2011

Marek:

Do you happen to be familiar with Red Rodney......or Philadelpha-born Robert
Roland Chudwick (1927-1994)?

Played trumpet with several big bands during the mid 40s and then, inspired
by listening to Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker decided he wanted to
become a be-bop musician.

He was even a part of Bird's quintet from 1949-1950, billed as "Albino Red"
as he was the only white musician in the group

Moved on to play with Joe Venuti and then, starting in the mid-50s,, he was
in and out of jail for a good part of the remainder of his career due to
drug addiction.

Pretty talented horn man though when he was straight.

OK, guys.........I'm done for the night

Bless y'all

HC

--
Didja evah wonder why there are more horses' asses than there are
horses?