[Dixielandjazz] Correct Pitch frequency? (was: correct pitch, Ory, Savoy Blues)

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 14:01:12 PST 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Bob Smith <robert.smith at tele2.no> wrote:

> While we're on this question of correct pitch, does anyone know the
> frequency of concert A in the 1920's.

I see that nobody has actually answered your question, so I'll take stab at
it.

The movement to standardize pitch at A=440Hz really gathered momentum in
1917, which I understand is when the Musician's Union advocated the
standard. Before then, some manufacturers made both high pitch and low pitch
versions of their instruments. There was no uniform standard, but I gather
that most low pitch instruments were about A=435 and high pitch could be in
A=460 range.

Like much else from the time, you'll find conflicting reports of what really
happened and several people claiming credit for the standard. One thing
remains, and that is a bunch of old instruments, some marked L.P., some
marked H.P and others not marked at all but few of them tuned to A=440.

-- Paul