[Dixielandjazz] correct pitch, Ory, Savoy Blues

Daniel Barrett danpbarrett at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 7 00:11:17 PST 2011

Dear All,

I really didn't want to enter into this fracas, and just want to say that I was pleased to read John Gill's clear and informative contribution. I have to say I agree with everything John wrote, including his high opinion of trombonist Mike Owens's playing. (Gill himself is no slouch in the sliphorn department!)

Yes, the Hot Five recording of Savoy Blues in in the key of G. Yes, the idea that the Creole Jazz Band played Dippermouth Blues in G is--well, silly.  Yes, Mike Owens is one of the best traditional trombonists I ever heard, too.

Carry on,

--Dan Barrett (Itinerant Jazz Trombonist)
Costa Mesa, CA