[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight!!!New slant.

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Thu Dec 29 09:05:33 PST 2011

Someone wrote:

> Maybe we could discuss "trainwrecks" for awhile???? :) >>

Pat Ladd replied

> ... the UK we often use `shipwreck ending` to describe the moment
> when half the band miss the leaders signal that this is the last chorus.
> They then gradually realise what is happening and one after another
> grind slowly into obscurity, trying not to catch the leaders eye, the
while.
> Alternately if it is  a very matey band it dissolves into roars of
laughter.

Yes, this one of the occurrences that in the US is often called a
"trainwreck." Another similar one is when half the band plays a double
ending and half the band doesn't. Another kind occurs when one member of the
band begins playing a different tune in a different key from his/her
colleagues. And a fourth kind is when things just fall apart in the middle
of a tune, for one reason or another.

I've participated in all four kinds of trainwrecks, and I expect that most
of the rest of us have as well.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers