[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight!!!

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 11:52:25 PST 2011

Sorry Rick, I meant the email you just got to go to both you and the whole
list as below:

I just talked to Schulz about 5 minutes ago, and he said that if he told the
Jazz Camp class that a loose out-chorus was a "dogfight" then (I quote), "I
might have been drunk."

The Portena band clips are really great, but there is nothing that we, at
least in the Bob Schulz Frisco Jazz Band or the Golden Gate Rhythm Machine
would call a "dogfight" in either clip. If you listen to the two clips I
provided yesterday, the dogfights are specific "parts" of certain tunes
(like verse and chorus and trio), not just loose and/or louder ensemble
choruses. Not every composition has one.

Clips from yesterday:

In "Clarinet Marmalade" it occurs at 1:06 and 2:54 in the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xn_3T4vbtE

At about 1:00 and 3:09 in "That's A'Plenty" in the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ8t1UpIJ-Y

Scott Anthony