[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight!!!

John McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 28 12:29:33 PST 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Rickz wrote:
I think we're getting all tied up in terminology.   I never played in a marching band,
and the term dogfight sounds unlike I would expect to hear in a marching band.

Here are a couple of examples from the finest Trad Jazz band in this hemisphere...
La Portena, from Argentina.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7VPJyBh4dc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9CJVGxwnLI&feature=related

*	*	*	*	*
Firstly, not all bands are marching bands. A band that is marching would not have a reason to use the term "dogfight" in performance. They would use it in rehearsal only. No drum major ever yelled out "dogfight" while his band was playing and marching.  Concert band conductors would use it for rehearsal purposes.  It's like saying, "take it from letter C".

Secondly, I listened to the two clips you cited. The only "jazz" they play is when they are improvising solos over a given chord sequence. The rest of the time, they are reading notes that someone else wrote down for them. Lots of musicians and bands can do that........and even cleaner. For example, Wynton and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra......bands of Stan Kenton, Woody Herman, Buddy Rich, Maynard Ferguson, etc.

If the Argentinians are really as good at Trad as you say, why do they need to read it?
My 2¢
Cheers,
John