[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight

John McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 28 11:42:59 PST 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Stephen G Barbone wrote:
Dear Pat & Bill:

"The breakstrain separates two statements of the main trio theme and is characterized by harmonic instability and alternating motives between high and low instruments. For this reason, the breakstrain is sometimes referred to as the 'dogfight'. The original nickname for the breakstrain was evidently 'dog and cat fight' and many older musicians still refer to that term."

That makes a whole lot of sense to me. And I LIKE that term.......harmonic instability. I think I'll create some of that on the next gig to see how the other guys handle it. Should be fun.

Regarding how the fingers are placed to indicate flats and sharps, that depends where you are in the USA. In Philadelphia most of us in Dixieland show fingers up for flats, down for sharps and form a C with thumb and first finger for that key. Mainly because most songs we play are in flat keys and it is easier to do and more readily seen by all band mates when we switch keys during a song. However, in New York City the convention corresponds with the system you use in the UK.

See how things change not only from region to region, but from band to band? We play in the same circuit as Steve, but for us logic dictates flats go down. Sorry Steve, that's the Glassboro State, Temple U, PMA/UArts, Curtis education style. The only guys I run into that reverse it are the NY guys (okay, okay, the Tony Soprano guys as well), or guys like you who spent a lot of time in NY during their formative years.
Cheers,
John