[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 28 08:46:25 PST 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 10:36 AM, Pat Ladd wrote:

> So then is "jazz" regional>
>
> Of course it is. East Coast, West Coast, Chicago etc but that is
> rather beside the point. I have never heard the term `dogfight` in
> the UK either.
>
> Just to point up another difference.; leaders in the UK to indicate
> the key show fingers `down` for flats` and `up` for sharp s`. I
> understand that it is the other way round in the US ?
>
> Pat

Dear Pat & Bill:

Probably because your musicians skipped the Ragtime era, and the
Marching Band era as a precursor to the development of jazz. Musicians
who picked up on jazz directly from the USA, apparently did not
research how it developed in the USA.

http://www.youtu.be/watch?v=EXrJ6E7SKhQ&feature=related

In addition to the book section I posted previously, here is another
book section explaining the word "dogfight: "Music Listening Today" by
Charles Hofer. Page 290.

"Dogfight is a term band directors often use to describe a part of a
march in which there is a rapid exchange  of musical material among
sections of the band."  The book then does on to describe "The Stars
and Stripes Forever"  (1896) which "follows traditional march form,
except for the addition of a break, or dogfight before returning to
the main melody of the trio."

Or, from a book on Early Circus Marches:

"The breakstrain separates two statements of the main trio theme and
is characterized by harmonic instability and alternating motives
between high and low instruments. For this reason, the breakstrain is
sometimes referred to as the 'dogfight'. The original nickname for the
breakstrain was evidently 'dog and cat fight' and many older musicians
still refer to that term."

Anyhow, this is where the term comes from and American Dixieland
musicians picked up on it from the beginning of jazz. I guess jazz
bands outside the USA copied the music, but not all the conventions.
Heck, it might be fun for these band leaders to be among the first
internationally to yell out "DOGFIGHT" during those tunes which
contain them. Especially if they are trying to present these tunes and
times accurately. VBG.

Regarding how the fingers are placed to indicate flats and sharps,
that depends where you are in the USA. In Philadelphia most of us in
Dixieland show fingers up for flats, down for sharps and form a C with
thumb and first finger for that key. Mainly because most songs we play
are in flat keys and it is easier to do and more readily seen by all
band mates when we switch keys during a song. However, in New York
City the convention corresponds with the system you use in the UK.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband