[Dixielandjazz] Dogfight

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 28 14:33:13 PST 2011

Stephen G Barbone  wrote:

" Probably because your musicians skipped the Ragtime era, and the
> Marching Band era as a precursor to the development of jazz. Musicians
> who picked up on jazz directly from the USA, apparently did not  research
> how it developed in the USA."

Probably not Stephen -  Australia did not skip the ragtime era or marching
bands. And how many American musicians playing today know much about how
jazz developed in the USA?

 In BAND NEWS for March, 1988 John Flynn, discussing the formation of the
Band Association of NSW in the mid 1880s said: "The bands of those days
supplied the music for dances, harbour picnics etc".  That to me is how jazz
developed in the USA and spread world wide.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell