[Dixielandjazz] Question about Banjos for Trad Jazz

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 26 14:36:10 PST 2011

I suspect this is because a lot of banjo players (especially beginners) play
only with themselves (yeah, I know!) and do not work with other instruments.
Among themselves they perpetuate the myth that any other key than C is
"hard," even though standard tenor tuning makes playing in any key quite
simple.

The tendency of instructors to start chord work with open string chords
really just makes the idea of transposing more daunting because you can't
move them. That's why I start beginners in the middle of the neck with
four-string chords. With a relatively few basic finger configurations and a
familiarity with the chromatic scale, Hey Presto! you can chord in any key
and wonder what all the fuss is about. I mean ANY key; most Stephen Foster
tunes were written in sharp keys, wonderful for singing, so try the original
keys, or if you really want to get back at a pest, take your chorus of "Bill
Bailey" or "The Saints" in F#, and playing country songs is no big deal.

Phil Wilking, K5MZF, www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.