[Dixielandjazz] Question about Banjos for Trad Jazz

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Dec 26 09:24:51 PST 2011

One important point that should be made explicitly, is the apparent
difficulties tenor players seem to have with flat keys like Ab and Eb,
perhaps even Bb. I don't know if this is a function of the stretching
problem, but for trad jazz, those keys are essential, and the tenor
players at banjo bashes avoid 'em like the plague.

I don't know tenor banjos, but I use guitar tuning on my "short-scale
plectrum", and have no problem with flat keys, transposing, etc. Note,
however, that it doesn't have the bright percussiveness of tenors which I
deem to be an important characteristic (don't ask me about this until
you've listened to tenor somewhat close up.)

--Sheik