[Dixielandjazz] Catherine Russell pays tribute to father Luis Russell this week on Riverwalk Jazz

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 12:35:08 PST 2011

DJML:

By now you should know about the great New York-based jazz/blues
singer Catherine Russell, daughter of Luis Russell and the
International Sweethearts of Rhythm bassist/vocalist Carline Ray.
Catherine had a successful career as a back-up singer for Paul  Simon,
David Bowie, Steely Dan, etc. but is now pursuing a career in
traditional jazz and blues. She has a powerful, original Ferrari of a
voice that can go from 0 to 60 in an instant. Catherine pays tribute
to her father on this week's Riverwalk Jazz.

If you are unsure of who Luis Russell was, please go to
http://redhotjazz.com/lro.html without delay.

The show dates from May 2010. Dick Hyman provides some dazzling
accompaniment, the Jim Cullum band swings out. I was not in the band
but was present at the event; it was my last night in San Antonio
before heading on out to Florida. Here are some URLs:

http://riverwalkjazz.org to stream the show now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUnmDunPmA
a video montage of Luis Russell containing photos from the Frank
Driggs collection.

Videos from the production itself in San Antonio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmbTjHQJCYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JKKrSQR_s0

Visit Catherine's website: http://www.catherinerussell.net/live/

A quote from Jackie Mason comes to mind: "I'm telling you now how
great this show is so that later, if you think the show stinks, then
you'll know there's somethin' wrong with YOU."

mopo

--
http://about.me/donmopsick