[Dixielandjazz] December 2011 BLUE NOTE excerpts

Bob Brodsky rfoxbro at aol.com
Mon Dec 5 14:32:34 PST 2011

 THE 'BLUE NOTE' is the 'voice OF THE SOUTH BAY NEW ORLEANS JAZZ CLUB-

SBNOJC meets 2nd Sunday Monthly 1:00 to 5:00 P.M. Knights of Columbus Hall

214 Avenue “I”, Redondo Beach, Ca 90277    - 310 397 6616

--

                                           OKOM FANS:

HERE ARE EXCERPTS FROMTHE DECEMBER, 2011 "BLUE NOTE"

- THE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER OF THE SOUTH BAY NEW ORLEANS JAZZ CLUB - REDONDO BEACH

PROGRAM

DECEMBER11, 2011, NIGHT  BLOOMING JAZZMEN - CHET  JAEGER

 JANUARY8, 2012  BOB WHITE’S  HYPERION OUTFALL  SERENADERS

 FEBRUARY  12, 2012,   ROYALE  GARDENDIXIELAND  BAND

DECEMBER FEATURE SET
CHET JAEGER’S - NIGHT BLOOMINGJAZZMEN

It has been our annual holidaycustom to treat our membership with this marvelousgroup of musicians, under the direction of Chet Jaeger, founder and leader of this band.  You will love thisband!    Again SBNOJC presents  the “NIGHT BLOOMING JAZZMEN !!!!!

NOVEMER 2011 FEATURE BAND
THE DIXIEDELICS JAZZ BAND

In the early 1980’s,Fullerton College pioneered, as part of theirexcellent jazz studies program, a traditional jazz course thatfeatured the LEMON STREET STOMPERS. which achievedconsistant recognition as one of the best college “trad”bands in the country.Richard Cruz developed the program. Students ofMr.Cruz were imbued with with a deep, and lastingappreciation of early jazz. This is where the DIXIEDELICS began. Continuingunder the leadership of Steve Kraus - leader & cornetthey have become a terrificband.  The band included:Dave Kraus - reeds, Jerry Wheeler - tbn & vocals, Bob Aul - tba, Tim Catlin - drms, Bob Scarano - bjo and Kevin Ruggles - pno. It was our good fortune to have them and they have agreed to return. Yipppeeeee!!!!!

                                                 MUSICIANS NOVEMBER 2011

SBNOJC was fortunateto have the following musicians in November:

                                     Bob Allen, Barry Anthony, Tyler Baillie, C.J. Sams, Larry
Cosgrove, Pete Dawson, Jerry Goodman, Jimmy Green, Gene Hill,
                                                        Jim Jones, Pete Kier, Tom Mann, Gene Marklevitz, David Newton,
John Norton, Roberto Pasquariello, Jerry Rothschild. Ray Siegele,
                                                       Richard Tucker, Ed Weiss, Kermit Welch, Robert Von Wendt, Bob
                                                    White, Jack Widmark, Larry Wright. Lucky Wright

                                                          FROM THE PRESIDENT

 Thanks to Band Sponsors
A specialthanks to Judy Hasse, Izzie Dietsch, Larry Cosgrove
and Ken andMary Lunning forsponsoring the NightBlooming Jazzmen in December.

Sponsorships help bring quality bands toourclub. Next yearsbands will beannounced in theJanuary Blue Note.

SBNOJC Needs a Secretary

Bob Brodsky isresigning from theBoard of Directors effective March 2012. We will miss his help, support and ideas.We need a secretary/historian. If you are interestedin the Secretary’s position, please contact me via phone or e-mail.

Holiday  Greetings

Another year has slippedby and once again it’s time to wish you allhappy holidays and a great and prosperousNew Year. Next year will be exciting for the club because we will celebrate our
50th anniversary at the September meeting.If you want to help with the planning, contact AnitaGold, at the next meeting or 949-
770-4690.

>From the Board of Directors, we thank you for all the help andsupport in 2011 and look forward to a new year of traditionaljazz.

Lets all keepJazz alive

Paul Goldman –President SBNOJCgoldperson51 at yahoo.com

EDITOR’S NOTE

Under the generalsubject of - “Bandsmanship”, theBlue Note is presentinga series of articles,containing suggestionsanda variety of thoughtson that general subject by a numberofexperienced musicians. The purpose of these articles isintended to provide listeners and musicians alike withthoughts and ideas which might be useful in improving ourmusical experience together. The December issue contains

a third articleby Jim Jones - Pete Kier, editor

                                                               BANDSMANSHIP  - Part  3
                                                 by Jim Jones, a local musicianand bandleader

The goal of our club is to have fun through music. Anything which prevents our joy detractsfrom that goal. For musicians, this means always strivingfor excellence.  Here are some gentlethoughts  for set  leaders,  players and listeners  that may spark conversation and help elevate what we do together.   Thereare areas of  musical performance  that  can  enhance  or  lessen our enjoyment.   Four of them are leadership, staging, dynamicsand conduct.
Leading a band requires knowledge, skill, preparation andsome  audacity.   The best  leader allows  his/her visionto  be achieved without  on-stage negotiation.         Voicing  specialinstructions briefly, then clearly setting tempos, downbeats andendings for all players, are givens.  Any hand signals for solo or ensemble designations, breaks, tags, splitssuch as tradingfours or stop-choruses, instrument cutouts allowing smaller combinations,out-chorus and extended ending styles,  must be communicated ahead of time.  The order of solos is set or directed clearly and inadvance or by signal.  Club officers also do best when they areclear in their instructions, scheduling and other arrangements.
Staging of the band can aid or hurt performance.  Audience sightlines are to be clear of speakers and other obstructions.   In the  typical  seven-piece  trad-jazz  band,  the  “front   line” isenhanced by being just that -  the trombone,  cornet and reeds alongside each other, forwardand centered, in a slight arcto hearandsee each other  better.       The rhythm  section  is  best whencohesive, sharing the beat,  none dominating, able to  see eachother, behind and in full support of the ensemble and soloists.The  drumset  need  not be  centered if  it divides  the rhythm players.  Unused  equipment - stands,  chairs, amps, glassware,clutter - is placed out of the way.   The sound system,  the bestthat can be afforded, is well set up, tested and staffed.
All clubs’ stage lighting needs improvement, the best venuesmanaging  to  highlight the band to  full advantage; the worst putting musiciansin  a  flat  semi-darkness on the margins of audience room-lighting.
Band dynamicscan well be rethought in nearly all jazz clubs.“Too  loud” strikes all players in improvisational jam-sessionenvironments.     The  reason  is simple:each player  strivesto hear their own instrument among all the others. To do so, wemustplay just a little louder. But when each one does that,“too  loud” results. The  cure is better  listening with  the purpose of producing a single balanced,organ-like sound at atasteful   volume.  A  full swing-band-style drumkit is not necessary in this mix. Baby Dodds played teacupsand suitcase when he had to.
Conduct of both the band and the  audience effectsthe performance. Since it’s well-known that “you perform whatyou  rehearse”, band members are at our  best when  we act onstage as  though every  set were a well-paidgig before anaudience   of   critical  listeners.  This  would   include  notattempting tunes  beyond all players’ capability, not holding mid-tune conversations and  disrespecting  soloists in  other ways,  makingloose  comments, onstage debating,last-minute adjustments,   turning backs  and  other   disrespect   for  the audience, and amateurish actions.  Facing soloists, quietly andwithapproval, is one hallmarkof top bands.   Curiously, thesame players who rail at a talkativeaudience may themselvesbreak these  on-stage suggestions.       And, yes,  audiences willquiet down and listenwhen given goodreason to do so.
The  concepts  above may  serve to  elevate both  our performances and our mutualenjoyment to attract  and holdmembers.

                SBNOJC  50th  Birthday, 2012

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

President                Paul Goldman               310 293 2910
& Blue Note Assist.           goldperson51 at yahoo.com
Vice President       Jerry Goodman               310 320 0009
Treasurer                Anita Gold               949 770 4690
Secretary                Bob Brodsky               310 937 1811
& Historian          rfoxbro at aol.com
Blue Note Editor               Pete Kier             310 397 6616
         & Music Dirctor

    Assist. Music Dir.

Earl Newton

310 829 978