[Dixielandjazz] Phoenix Records?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 27 16:21:18 PDT 2011

> Teagarden?
> --Sheik

Dear Sheik and Mike,
The 'Coast Concert' and 'Jazz Ultimate' sessions ARE on the Mosaic MD4-168 'Complete Capitol Fifties Jack Teagarden Sessions', as Sheik surmised.
(I have these.)
Phoenix have included the unissued "St James Infirmary" from the 'Coast' session,which is in the Mosaic set.
The 'Jazz Ultimate' session on the Mosaic set has 15 tracks. The Phoenix CD has only 13 tracks.
Missing on the Phoenix are a take of "'S Wonderful" and the mono take of "Mama's Gone Goodbye".
All 15 tracks were issued on Capitol LPs.
However, based on the inclusion of the unissued "St James Infirmary", I suspect Phoenix may have borrowed from the Mosaic 'Teargarden' CDs,
which were officially licensed from Capitol.
In my previous email I forgot to confirm that my Jimmy Rushing Phoenix CD of Verve material has no identification, anywhere, as to country of origin.
However, this morning I searched the 'matrix' information on the CD disc and found that it appears to have been manufactured in Barcelona, Spain.
Other CDs found with similar 'matrix' information show the country of origin as Portugal.
Very kind regards,
Bill.