[Dixielandjazz] Phoenix Records?

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 27 08:54:26 PDT 2011

>>>I wonder whether the lack of info suggests it's a rip-off outfit. The 2
albums were included in the Mosaic box, I forget which one--maybe the
Teagarden?

--Sheik<<<

Interesting point.  I'd bet a dollar-and-a-half those two albums are definitely owned by somebody.  Even the average European classical knockoff CD will say where it's from.  I note that the current liner notes are written by a Tim Hathaway, and they are well-written.  The rest is the original liner notes, and the overall presentation is actually top-notch.  So imagine (no, you don't have to imagine) my disgust at finding no label self-identification.  I'm with you, Sheik; I think they're trying to fly under the radar while making a few bucks.

(They definitely know their stuff, though.  The last two tracks are two of three "alternate takes" from Jazz Ultimate which are in fact not alternates, just tracks from a simultaneous mono backup master.  They are included merely as "curiosities".)