[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Festival

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Aug 25 12:22:15 PDT 2011

Steve Barbone wrote:

> Why, with the number of Dixieland bands that were/are at Sacto, would
> anyone have to listen to the other genres, or support them? What's up
> with that?
>
> One couldn't see all the Dixieland Bands that were there in 2011
> unless you ran around like a chicken.
>
> Me? I don't go to festivals. I see my Dixieland in,  local venues
> throughout the year, or drive up to NYC to see some greats.
>
> I can pick from Midiri Brothers, Jon Eric Kelso an ad his enormous
> group of GREAT musicians that rotate at the Ear inn. (Even folks who
> are passing through NYC like Tim Laughlin, or Evan Christopher, or Dan
> Barrett et al), Gully Low, Randy Reinhart, and on and on and on.
(snip)

Steve,

Without reading Jim's email again, I know that what he is referring to is not the names you mention above.  He is talking about what he considers as Trad Jazz.  Of course different people have different ideas of what they call Trad Jazz.

Jim is referring to tuba banjo, two beat bands such as High Sierra, Natural Gas, Uptown Lowdown, Bob Schulz, Golden Gate Rhythm Machine, Blue Street, etc.  The YBJB type bands, SF style.

For instance, my band, the Fulton Street JB plays a lot of the same stuff but we don't have a banjo & tuba.  We have a string bass.

I asked to be put in the Trad room at Sacramento one year thinking that we would play those types of tunes.  The "true, one-eyed (as you call them) Trad, tuba/banjo fans disappeared in mass.  They can't stand to hear a band without a tuba and banjo.

Personally I like it all, from King Oliver, Morton, Watters, Scobey, WGJB, Dave Brubeck (the original quartet), Rob McConnell, etc and of course Condon...

-Bob Ringwald