[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Festival

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 05:46:49 PDT 2011

Oh, the difference in perception!
After all this time on the list, I did not realize that to Americans
"trad" meant banjo and tuba bands!  To me, "trad" was British trad,
which often sounded like banjo with instrumentsl accompaniment.  Very
few British bands used brass bass; it has mostly been banjo and string
bass.  Of course, there are exceptions, but that seems to be the rule.
 To say the truth (perish the thought), I did not know "trad" was used
in the States at all!

Tubas are strong in France, but mano of the French bands are very
different from the American two-beat bands.

For me, any traditional band will do if it is good, but I prefer
string basses and guitars to tubas and banjos.  And I love swing.

But my tastes are less catholic than Bob's - I don't like Brubeck, and
have my doubts as to whether the music he played even in theearly days
was jazz.  And I AM NOT prepared do discuss it - it would be
pointless.

Cheers